Ranking the QB’s that were drafted is a thing we should all look at when deciding who we want to focus on. Here I will rank them on a few different categories. They will be ranked on starting opportunity, weapons around them, and the offense they will be in.
- Joe Burrow – The 1st overall pick to Cincinnati is my favorite of the QB’s draft. Andy Dalton being released means Burrow is the starter going into the season. The Bengals have what I feel is one of the most talented RBs in the league, and a WR core that is very formidable. If AJ Green and John Ross can stay healthy I imagine a lot of 4 WR sets with Tyler Boyd and newly drafted Tee Higgins. Joe Mixon is a guy I will be talking about a lot this offseason as I feel he is being forgotten about. Burrow also has the ability to extend plays with his legs if the line breaks down as it did quite a bit last year. Head Coach Zac Taylor is an offensive mind and he and Burrow should be a great pairing. I look for a big year out of Burrow.
2. Justin Herbert – Herbert was the 6th overall pick to the Chargers. Herbert has to beat out Tyrod Taylor for the starting job but I don’t see that as to much of an issue. The Chargers have issues along the line and Herbert will need to be able to move around a bit to get the ball out to his weapons. The Chargers are full of offensive weapons for Herbert. Keenan Allen, Austin Ekeler, and Hunter Henry will be a welcome sight for to help the growth of the young QB.
3. Tua Tagovailoa – If Tua was healthy all last season I’m not sure if Burrow would have been the top choice. There is no question of talent or athletic ability with Tua unfortunately his health is a major concern. If I was in Miami I would red shirt him for the upcoming season and survive with some FitzMagic until the 2021 season. The skill positions for Miami are really underrated in my opinion. The RBBC of Jordan Howard and Matt Breida is very formidable, the WR position could become elite with DeVante Parker and Preston Williams. Mike Gesicki is one tight end I also really like going into this season. If Tua does get to start this season in Miami he may move ahead of Herbert but I just don’t think that is smart.
4. Jalen Hurts – Hurts was my favorite QB in this draft outside of Burrow and Tua. I know this wasn’t a popular pick for Eagles fans but it does make sense to me. If Wentz does get hurt I think Hurts could step in nicely. Hurts is a solid backup with a good set of skills. The talent in Philadelphia is probably the best of any team on this list if not just behind the Chargers. The addition of Jalen Reagor, Marquise Goodwin, and John Hightower added to Alshon Jeffery, Dallas Goedert, and Zack Ertz makes for a good explosive offense. Miles Sanders is also a nice weapon.
5. Jake Fromm – Fromm probably doesn’t see the field this season at all but if Josh Allen does get injured the Bills got a very smart high IQ QB to take over as they are in win now mode. Fromm is also going to help in the QB room with Josh Allens growth and they should really work well together.
6. Jacob Eason/Jordan Love – I bunched these two together as they will both be sitting behind their Hall of Fame worthy first string guys. There is a legit chance that both don’t see the field until 2022.